It’s that time of year when pundits, prognosticators and fortune tellers come out of the woodwork. So I jumped on the bandwagon and got out my Tarot cards.
Here are my predictions for 10 social media trends during 2009. Of course, some of these will be wrong. I’ll miss others. But from a general perspective, it’s clear that social media is going to be changing fast. It’ll remain a moving target for marketers, yet an exciting technology for developers and users.
So here are my picks. What are yours?
- Twitter will be more fully integrated with mainstream social networks (MySpace, Facebook, etc.)
- More Fortune 500 businesses will set up Twitter accounts and C-level blogs
- More social networking consolidation tools for one-stop profile and posting management will emerge
- Marketers will explore novel approaches to ad strategies on social networks
- Advertisers will implement improved tools and metrics to gauge the ROI of social media ad spend
- Political campaigns will follow Obama’s model in marketing through social media channels
- Multi-media press releases will integrate more fully into social media channels
- Advertisers will increase use of viral video as a standard ad strategy
- Methods and techniques will evolve to integrate social media experiences into real life
- Fortune 500 companies will increasingly adopt internal social media for management efficiency gains